Pages

Monday, July 16, 2007

Random Act of Kindness: Baby Blanket Auction

*** Bidding for the three customized baby blankets starts this morning (Monday) at 8 AM EASTERN TIME.

I'll take your bids for 24 hours and close bidding tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8:00 AM EDT.

To bid, go HERE and read the instructions then place your bid in the Comments section. (Of course you will need to view previous comments to see the current bid so you can outbid that.)

The caveat here is that I haven't ever been an auctioneer or even played one on TV, so I'm flying by the seat of my skirt here and we may run into ISSUES that cause me to rejigger the bidding process mid-auction. I'll let you know if I do. This is all for a very worthy cause (read below) and I thank you in advance for your interest and generosity. Happy Bidding! I can't wait to drag out the ol' sewing machine and make three adorable love-filled blankies for you. Well, one for you. And one for you. And one for you. Three altogether.***

I love it when things just fall together. I really really do. Total God thing! See, I think I've come up with a way to help out neighbor, but it'll take some (lots of) friends, new and old, to really make it soar. And lo and behold, Jenmomof4 (whom I found via RibbonRockStar) is hosting a Random Acts of Kindness contest today so I'm putting this little idea out there and hoping it gets seen and sparks interest.

Friday night as I relaxed under the stars, marinating in the peaceful togetherness of our family's usual celebrate-the-advent-of-another-weekend bonfire, snuggling my Bean on my lap, surrounded by my neighbors and their own precious kids, I was touched with a desire to do something special to help make sure Teagan and her parents will be able share a thousand such simple but memorable moments together for years to come. Teagan's a little girl who lives a few blocks from us FriedOkras, (although we don't know her family personally). She's 22 months old and has recently undergone brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. Since the surgery, tiny Teagan's experienced some complications, although she continues to improve overall. As you can imagine, the surgery, recovery and planned chemotherapy treatments for Teagan will be enormously costly. In response, our community (along with friends and neighbors all over the country) has showered this family with financial assistance and support of all kinds.

Any story of an ill or suffering child hits extra-close to home, now that I'm a Mama, but this one, the story of a little girl we've likely smiled and waved at in the grocery store or played near at the park... a little girl so close in age to my own daughter, strikes such a chord inside me that I think of her and her parents (especially her mother) nearly every time I hold Bean close or laugh at one of her sillyisms.

So, what can I do? For starters, I can pray. Maybe though, with my brand new blog and a few readers (and their readers) I can do more. Maybe I'll be able inspire a few other Mamas (and Daddys) to join me in getting behind the family of this child, with prayer and support.


Here's my idea: I'll auction off three custom-made baby blankets here and donate the proceeds to Teagan's parents to help with the cost of her continuing treatment.

Now I'm an amateur seamstress. One who approaches the sewing machine with no small amount of trepidation and generally walks away from it with brows knit into tight hairball of vexation. But the ONE item that I love to sew, the one little project I can usually bring to completion without erupting into a full-blown hissy fit, is a simple custom-made, personalized baby blanket. Square. With nice straight seams and not a button-hole or zipper in sight.

These're humble little blankets. I pair up two large squares of cuddly soft contrasting fabrics, which I hand select to match a new baby's nursery or a toddler's current obsession. I whip them together on my machine, then have the blanket embroidered with the child's name and birthday, and voila! I've created a unique keepsake for parents to treasure and child to snuggle happily for years. (Because they may not look altogether perfect, but they are built to last!) Here's one example of a blanket I sewed for my friend Sandra's baby, Annabelle, whose nursery theme was ladybugs. The white side of the blanket was made of white cotton chenille, and the contrasting fabric featured little red ladybugs on a blue background. The embroidery has Annabelle's name and birthdate with a cute little ladybug on top.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I want to give this post a chance to get plenty of traffic before I open the bidding, so I plan to take bids all day next Monday, July 23rd. I will accept the top THREE bids, and at the close of the auction I'll announce the top three bidders (or keep your identity anonymous if you'd prefer) and set about gathering information to make the most extra special blankets I am able to muster from myself and my little old Singer (which is actually a Kenmore). I promise to sew heaps of love and gratitude in with every single stitch.


I'll outline the particulars of How and When to Bid in a hopefully Clear and Concise post (Not my strongsuit! Have you picked up on that yet?) on this Thursday, July 19, so come back then to join in the fun and win a little lovey for your lovey or a really unique and heartfelt gift for the newest newborn in your life.

If you are reading this post and would like to help spread the word (I hope you do!), feel free to link this post and Teagan's site in your blog.

Direct donations to Teagan's family are being accepted through a local bank. You can find that information here. And of course the family welcomes the gift of prayer above all others.

I can't wait to see how this humble idea is blessed. Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. You have the biggest heart! I will have to write a post to link to your site. I don't have THAT MANY readers that don't already read you but I have a few, I think. Anyway. I hope this pans out for you and I REALLY hope that the little girl gets well soon. Things like that always make my heart hurt. Babies should never have to go through any kind of pain! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea!! Thank you for partipating in our first RAK!!! I will be doing this each MOnday so if you want to link back again next week about the auction that would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea - I'll have to put a link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea and you are so kindhearted! I love your writing - I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linked ya up, mama. I can't wait to see how this goes. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's me again. I was thinking maybe you should change your comment settings so people from "the good old days" can comment too. Without having a blogger account, I mean. :) I don't want to tell you what to do, I just thought maybe you didn't know there was an option to do that. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!
    I will be here to bid for sure.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting me over at 4 Reluctant Entertainers!
    I hope you win :)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Megan, I have a blogger account, but for some reason, it wasn't accepting my "google" login. So I haven't been able to comment yet! I love your new blog! it seems to fit everything quite nicely! That is SO sad about your little neighbor and her family. You know if I had the $$$ I'd bid on a million blankets (well, maybe 1 anyway!) :) I really do wish you the best of luck with this; it is SO kind! Have a terrific weekend!
    --Melissa--

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just put your info on my blog, but thought you would want to know that one of your links isn't working. It's the one that tells how you can give directly to the family. I'm excited to see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, is this where you want us to do the bidding? If so, I will throw the first bid out there at $10.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?