Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sweetness Unrivaled


Corn season's upon us out here in the Illinois countryside. It's my second corn season here and I think I'm getting the hang of it. We've eaten corn for dinner 4 of the past 6 nights and we're having it again tonight. Upon its arrival in town, this fresh, taught-knuckled treat becomes the first invited guest to almost any family supper, barbeque or picnic. No need to ask if there'll be corn, only who's bringing it this time.

Just as the cornstalks themselves, stretching nearly seven feet up at maturity, temporarily re-paint the pastoral setting of the prairie in lush, crisp, rolling greenness on vast fields that spend the rest of the year crouched low in drab stillness or smothered beneath a heavy blanket of snow, the fruit of the corn brings a new seasonal purpose and agenda to the people who grow it and gratefully eat it. I've watched 20 or more Fresh Sweet Corn for Sale signs appear along my familiar routes through the country-side, and the farm wives and children - whom I've only ever seen in my mind's eye as I've passed by - now sit together under steel-framed funeral tents behind ten-foot tables stacked high with mountains of corn, still in its pale green husks. The local police fell enough stalks to carve out car-sized notches into the edges of the corn fields around town. They slouch in their cruisers and switch on the radar, lying sleepily in wait for heavy-footed locals and unsuspecting strangers. Friendly conversation nearly always includes a reference to a recent superlative corn-eating experience, and a serving of corn to out-of-towners comes with a nod out back, to the fields right there. This corn is fresh. I watched it planted... the same rains that patter on my windows at night water the roots of those stalks, and the same sun that freckles my shoulders gave this corn its unrivaled sweetness.

Neighbors leave home daily to run by Tom's (the farmers' market and nursery, just across this field from home) to bring home the family's nightly ration of day's harvest. We pet Susie the dog's head and eye the last of the fresh strawberry pies in the cooler and smile to see the hay bales and chrysanthemum plants and pumpkin bric-a-brac around the corner on carts, ready to be put into their places, reminding us that as we eat our last ears of corn, we'll be heralding the arrival of fall. Corn season will fade into the russet autumn, the farmers will clear the stalks away to reveal the rich black soil that fed them, and we'll drive by those quiet, still fields for nine months before tiny new shoots appear.

A favorite corn recipe of mine:

Summertime Risotto Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003


2 ears sweet summer corn, kernels removed and cream pressed from the cobs
6 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, seeded
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions, green tops only
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade

With a sharp knife remove the kernels from the corn cobs, then run the back of the knife down the cob pressing out the cream and reserving it with the kernels. Cover the cobs with water and bring to a boil and let simmer for at least 30 minutes. Keep water warm.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, thyme and corn kernels and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the arborio (without rinsing) and cook, stirring constantly, until it becomes opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice has completely absorbed all the liquid.

Begin adding your corn stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly and letting the rice completely absorb the liquid between additions. After 15 minutes add the shrimp, tomatoes and green onions. Cook about another 5 minutes, until rice is al dente. (You should use about 5 cups of corn water.) Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, heavy cream basil and stir well to mix. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with remaining Parmesan at table.

10 comments:

  1. Summer wouldn't be summer if we didn't get that corn. It's sad to think that it's almost over. We complain about the heat and all too soon it will be very very cold. Appreciate the little things, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Now I'm off to the garden to pick our family's daily ration of corn. We missed a day after all....

    Mary

    PS-- There were little corn stands everywhere in Ethiopia this month too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an excellent writer! I can just see the corn and the dark soil and the police cars! Now I am going to have to stop at a roadside stand. There's lots of them in my area of Michigan too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brings back vivid memories of shucking corn in the early morning heat in south east Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that corn pic. You sure did take great care to fold those husks back just so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Megan, I have been reading the new blog. I like it. Upbeat and fun...just as you are. I think you are accomplishing your mission with this blog. I wish I could join you again in the SAHM club again, but alas, it is not my time yet. Till then, I will have to live vicariously through you!! Later, chica! Heather and Cami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love me some fresh sweet corn! Most of the corn is past its prime around here. I planted more, but we haven't had enough rain for it to really grow much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I have been lurking for a bit and have even read some archives over at your old diary. your baby is gorgeous!

    I just might try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. My man is from the Chicago area and when we drive up there in the summer, that's what I remember seeing most, throughout all of Illinois. Corn, corn, corn. Bet you can find it for free, right off the stalk, there's so much of it! :)

    Thanks for sending in your post to the Where Do You Live Weekend carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love corn, I am so jealous. It is not as plentiful here, a rare treat actually. I'm going to use your recipe and making hubby pick up corn on the way home.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?